On 13.08.2012 02:59, Sean Cavanaugh wrote:
On 8/12/2012 6:43 PM, torhu wrote:
On 12.08.2012 23:21, Sean Cavanaugh wrote:

Post windows 8 launch we should start seeing mainstream games shipping
32 and 64 bit binaries together in the same box. We already have moved
off of 32 bit in house for our editors and tools. The biggest hangup is
Microsoft keeps shipping 32 bit OSes, and we still have to support XP at
least through the end of the year. With a little luck Win8 will be the
last 32 bit one.

Can I ask, what are the reasons you want to move to 64 bits on the
Windows platform? Is it higher memory requirements or something else?
The game with the highest memory use I've got installed is AFAIK
Starcraft II, still at only about one GB. And as you know, 64 bit apps
can have lower performance than 32 bits in some cases. So I'm curious to
know what the reasons are in your case.

    32 bit Windows games are capped at around 1.3 GB due to WinXP
support.  You can get closer to 1.7 GB of address space out of your 32
bit apps when run under 64 bit windows, but thats about it, without
playing with /3GB LARGEADDRESSAWARE flags etc.  Games that push 1.3 GB
or more run the risk of crashing due to both address space fragmentation
and running out of memory from the heap.

Ok, so using LARGEADDRESSAWARE doesn't improve the situation on XP 64? What about on Vista 64?