This is the first release of ICE, a small game project I'm working on at the university.

ICE is a vertical shoot-em-up created with moddability in mind. Its gameplay resembles games like Tyrian and Raptor: Call of the Shadows.

There's still a lot of work to do (moddability is there but no user-friendly editor, no ship upgrading, need better sounds, bosses), but at least the game is playable.

We're using a component-based entity system (where components behave as plain data), allowing various custom entities to be created without touching
the code.

The game is pretty slow on older PC's; this is not a D issue, but some code (graphics) is just written very inefficiently right now. It's getting better, though; D features made it easy to write tools to profile memory allocations and frame times; we can do stuff like find the slowest frames, break them down into zones to find out what took the most time, even find the allocations made during these frames. (I'd like to separate thisinto another project in future).

See the full announcement here:
http://icegame.nfshost.com/index.html

Download the game:
http://icegame.nfshost.com/pages/downloads.html

Forums:
http://iceforum.nfshost.com/

Comments/criticism welcome (I've worked on a few toy game projects, but this is the first one that actually had a release; there are likely many beginner
errors).