On Thursday, 20 December 2012 at 20:18:42 UTC, ponce wrote:
On Thursday, 20 December 2012 at 18:41:13 UTC, Kiith-Sa wrote:

Comments/criticism welcome (I've worked on a few toy game projects, but this is the first one that actually had a release; there are likely many beginner
errors).

Hi,

If you are making a shoot-em-up (especially horizontal or
vertical) you should be aware that the players in this space can
be quite ann... er, hardcore. There are two things in your game that they
hate with a passion: player inertia and lifebar. You might want
to remove those because this will probably backfire in
shoot-em-up communities.

Interesting. I do play shoot-em-ups but I wouldn't call myself hardcore,
so I guess I might have missed something.
Removing/decreasing inertia might be a good idea, I see why it might
frustrate some players.

However, what's the issue with a health bar? Most shoot-em-ups I play
have one (and I'm not making a one-hit-you're-dead game.)

Is health bar undesirable because it obstructs the view?
(i.e. would a different way of showing health be preferrable?)
Or is it simply "not hardcore enough"? (i.e. player having no information about health would be better? That would make the gameplay worse in my view.)