On Thursday, 20 December 2012 at 20:40:35 UTC, Kiith-Sa wrote:

However, what's the issue with a health bar? Most shoot-em-ups I play
have one (and I'm not making a one-hit-you're-dead game.)

Is health bar undesirable because it obstructs the view?
(i.e. would a different way of showing health be preferrable?)
Or is it simply "not hardcore enough"? (i.e. player having no information about health would be better? That would make the gameplay worse in my view.)

Well there was such "life bar" talk in shoot-em-up communities
like
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=7874&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I think it has to do with hardcore players targeting error-free
runs.

I have nothing against lifebar and inertia myself :)