On Saturday, 9 August 2014 at 14:24:41 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
While I (unfortunately) agree with everything you've said here, I can't help chiming in with one thing: Speaking as a programmer who's primarily used Windows ever since 3.1, anyone who earns a paycheck writing code *and* believes "Linux is rubbish for nerds"[1], needs to grow the fuck up, both professionally and intellectually. It's absolutely no different from a grown adult being a console fanboy. It's just pathetic and completely inexcusable for any so-called "professional".

[1] And you're right, such people *do* (inexplicably) exist. I've known some.

People take surprising pride in praising own ignorance and any philosophy that justifies such ignorance. When I started doing commercial programming after some years of open-source and hobby experiments biggest cultural shock was that many of my colleagues actually avoided learning anything out of the default comfort zone and called that _professional attitude_.

To take it from common holywar path : my rant was not about GUI vs console either, but about the fact that they distribute some programs that die with meaningless error unless certain system paths are manually specified. This is a terrible approach - I can't imagine any program installed via standard OS tools to act that way and not consider it a bug. Even majority of Windows programs I remember using were more responsible in that regard.
              • Re: ... Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • Re: ... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: DMD v2.066.0-rc1 Maxim Fomin via Digitalmars-d-announce