On Monday, 23 July 2018 at 10:33:28 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
On Monday, 23 July 2018 at 09:52:54 UTC, Zheng (Vic) Luo wrote:

Regarding floating point operations, I plan to use dmd.builtins/ldc.builtins instead of linking with libm.

That reminds me. Something else to consider is that some of these microcontrollers don't have FPUs. Graphics libraries designed for microcontrollers often use fixed-point math as a lowest common denominator. I think, given the features of D, fixed-point or floating point could be selected at compile-time.

But, I don't wish to expand the scope of the project. An all-floating point library would be fine, IMO, and fixed-poing math could be added to the library in a future iteration.

Mike

Having already implemented a video game engine using exclusively fixed point math for a nintendo handheld, I can tell you that the rasterizer code will have to be implemented with that in mind. Using several precisions (16.16/20.12/40.24 formats) and 64 bits products, avoid divisions, etc.

A very different beast IMHO, even with fixed point structs overloading the different math operators...