On Saturday, 22 December 2018 at 16:35:27 UTC, Johannes Loher wrote:
On Saturday, 22 December 2018 at 15:11:10 UTC, Joakim wrote:
On Saturday, 22 December 2018 at 14:26:29 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
On Saturday, 22 December 2018 at 13:46:39 UTC, Joakim wrote:
On Saturday, 22 December 2018 at 12:18:25 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

The egregious waste of time and resources of this DConf format strongly signals that D is not a serious effort to build a used language,

It's the same signal being emitted by all of these "failures" as well:

Go: https://twitter.com/dgryski/status/1034939523736600576
Rust: https://rustconf.com/
Clojure: https://clojure.org/community/events
Haskell: https://wiki.haskell.org/Conferences
C++: https://cppcon.org/ https://cpponsea.uk/ http://cppnow.org/ https://meetingcpp.com/

etc.

To me it's obvious from that short list that took me less than 5min to come up with that conferences aren't a dying format. I gave up on C++ conferences after the 4th link, there are just too many.

The fact that a short list of conferences still exists at all somehow makes it "obvious" to you that they're not dying? Did you even look at my second link that actually tallies some numbers for a particular tech market?

It is true that a few conferences are still being done, even my second link above never said they're _all_ gone. But simply saying some are still following this outdated ritual is not an argument for continuing it, nor does it contradict anything I said about the number of conferences going down.

If you don't like conferences you don't have to go.

This has nothing do me: I've never been to DConf or most any other tech conference and likely never will. This is about whether the D team should be wasting time with this dying format.

I for one am excited about being in London in May. Please don't sour it for other who think/feel like I do.

Heh, so that's your two big arguments for why the conference format should continue: other languages are doing it and you want to visit London in May? You are exemplifying the mindset that I'm pointing out with these flimsy arguments, everything that is wrong with D and DConf.

We talked a great deal about this in your thread (https://forum.dlang.org/thread/ogrdeyojqzosvjnth...@forum.dlang.org). I believe the main takeaway from that discussion was that many of us disagree with your opinion to at least some degree.

As I recall, you largely agreed with me:

"I totally agree with you on your first point, i.e. making DConf more interactive."

"I disagree with your second point, i.e. decentralising DConf... On the other hand, I have to admit that decentralising the event would open it up for a much bigger audience, which definitely is a good idea."
https://forum.dlang.org/post/omsxuayxkaqbxeobe...@forum.dlang.org

I know that you are very convinced about your idea of how we should do DConf being superior and that is OK. Maybe you are just ahead of time in this case, I don't know. But it is also a fact that many people stated that they actually enjoy the current DConf format very much and believe it is not a waste of time and money at all. So to me, it is no surprise at all that it was decided to to stick with the current format.

I really don't care how many people agree or disagree. All I care about is the reasoning presented. As I see it, I gave lots of good reasons, and like Atila here, they gave none: only "I enjoyed myself." That's not a worthwhile reason, if the goal is to further the D language and community.

Also I don't think this is the right place for this discussion. If you feel that we indeed need to rediscuss this issue, I think it should be done in a separate thread.

I'm not trying to discuss it with you or the community. I'm asking the D team who're making this decision why it's being made, despite all the reasoning in that thread, and reiterating that it's a bad move. I suspect they're not thinking this through, but they can speak for themselves.