On Saturday, 22 December 2018 at 22:13:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 12/22/2018 6:26 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
If you don't like conferences you don't have to go. I for one am excited about being in London in May. Please don't sour it for other who think/feel like I do.

That's right. And hefting a pint with Atila is guaranteed to be a highlight of the conference! I recommend it for those who haven't had the pleasure.

I'm sure he's fun to be around, the question is whether it's worth the cost of flying to London.

That said, I think we've probably tried to cram too many presentations into the schedule. We should probably have fewer and put gaps between them for people to digest and talk about them.

The question is if it's worth doing in-person presentations at all.

Also, I try to make my presentations less "I lecture and you listen silently" to be much more interactive and engaging with you guys. I suggest others planning a presentation to also think along those lines.

Honestly, yours are routinely the worst presentations at DConf. Your strength as a presenter is when you dig deeply into a bunch of technical detail or present some new technical paradigm, similar to Andrei. Yet, your DConf keynotes usually go the exact opposite route and go very lightly over not very much at all.

Reading through your listed benefits of DConf below tells me you didn't read anything I wrote in the linked forum thread above from months ago, as nowhere did I say not to get people together in person at all, which is where most of your benefits come from.

Rather, I made three primary suggestions for how to get people together instead:

1) Ditch in-person presentations for pre-recorded talks that people watch on their own time. Getting everybody in the same room in London to silently watch talks together is a horrible waste, that only made sense before we all had high-speed internet-connected TVs and smartphones with good cameras. Do a four-day hackathon instead, ie mostly collaboration, not passive viewing.

2) Rather than doing a central DConf that most cannot justify attending, do several locations, eg in the cities the core team already lives in, like Boston, Seattle, San Jose, Hong Kong, etc. This makes it cost-effective for many more people to attend, and since you'll have ditched the in-person tech talks, spend the time introducing the many more attendees to the language or have those who already know it work on the language/libraries, ie something like the current DConf hackathon.

3) Get the core team together as a separate event, either as an offline retreat or online video conference or both. I know you guys need to meet once in awhile, but it makes no sense to spend most of that in-person time at DConf staring at talks that could be viewed online later.

Some other advantages of DConf off the top of my head, in no particular order:

1. putting a face and name to the person greatly helps working with people remotely the rest of the year

Maybe, but only 2) above mitigates it somewhat, and is it worth the cost?

2. it's amazing how intractable, obstinate online positions just melt away when discussed in person over a beer

1) and 3) enable that more, 2) sacrifices that for greater outreach.

3. it's fun to see what other people are doing, as it's easy to miss what's important by just monitoring the n.g.

1) and 3) enable that more, 2) sacrifices it somewhat.

4. I regard all you folks as my friends, and it's fun to be with y'all

Is that more important than outreach and getting things done?

5. many, many collaborations have spawned from meeting like minded individuals at DConf

They still would with the suggestions above, just differently.

6. employers come to DConf looking for D developers, and many D developers have gotten jobs from them. If that isn't a win-win, I don't know what is!

While I find it questionable to say that they couldn't easily find and recruit those people online, given that D is primarly an online project where most everything and everyone is easily available online, I see no reason why any of the changes above would stop that.

It seems clear to me that you, at the very least, have not engaged with the links and ideas I've been providing about why the current DConf format is broken.

My fundamental point is that the current DConf conference format is an outdated relic, that made sense decades ago when getting everybody together in a room in Berlin was a fantastic way to get everybody connected. With the ready availability of high-speed internet and video displays to everybody who can afford to pay the registration fee and go to London, that hoary conference format needs to be rethought for the internet age.

I have no problem with anybody disagreeing with my suggestions or the reasoning behind them, but I find it flabbergasting for anyone to suggest, as Mike has above, that the old conference format still makes sense, especially given the documented evidence of it declining.

D cannot afford to be technically innovative yet lag behind on everything else, as it once was when you used no version control or issue tracker for the early years of D. Some thought needs to be put into these issues I'm pointing out with the current conference format, yet I don't see it happening.