On Monday, 15 July 2019 at 12:57:46 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
On Monday, 15 July 2019 at 12:27:22 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

This isn't exactly true. The restriction is that core should not *import* rt. Have a look at all the extern(C) definitions in Druntime - using extern(C) functions to communicate between the compiler and rt, as well as core and rt, is not a "hack", but an established mechanism to invoke the low-level implementations in Druntime.

We are trying to implement many of those `extern(C)` runtime hooks as templates. Those templates need to be implicitly imported through object.d. That means code that was in `rt` is converted to a template, and then moved to object.d. However, as we do more and more of them object.d becomes unwieldy.

I took the initiative to prevent object.d from turning into a more of a monstrosity that it already is, and moved those runtime templates (which used to reside in `rt`) back into `rt`.

This is not a problem, and not at all related to the issue we're discussing. The problem is that you chose to move them into `rt` instead of somewhere under `core`, which would respect existing conventions and avoid breakages like the ones we've seen reported in this thread.