BCS wrote:
Reply to Robert,

Hmm... I'd say x.⊆(y) is preferable x.isSubsetOf(y), but it's not a
huge deal.

Only until you have to type it. I think universal alpha includes only the union of things that can be easily typed on standard keyboards.
<snip>

What inspired you to form that opinion?

My impression was that it's some standard list of Unicode characters that are letters (or logogram or ideogram or whatever) in some language somewhere in the world.

Anyway....
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/lex.html
"Identifiers start with a letter, _, or universal alpha, and are followed by any number of letters, _, digits, or universal alphas. Universal alphas are as defined in ISO/IEC 9899:1999(E) Appendix D. (This is the C99 Standard.)"

I eventually managed to find this:

http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n1256.pdf

Stewart.