BCS wrote:
Reply to Stewart,
<snip>
My impression was that it's some standard list of Unicode characters
that are letters (or logogram or ideogram or whatever) in some
language somewhere in the world.

That's more or less the same thing (although I'll admit, my original comment is not well stated).

Indeed, my keyboard has a number of punctuation characters, most of which aren't valid in identifiers.

I'm not just talking about standard QWERTY keyboard but also standard keyboards for other languages and alphabets.

I'd got that far.

I rather suspect that for every char in universal alpha, there is a standard keyboard somewhere that has it.

So I guess it's therefore likely to exclude ancient scripts with not enough modern use to have warranted the invention of a standard keyboard therefor. (One omission I noticed is Phoenician, though that may be also due to its later arrival in Unicode.)

Stewart.