I am looking for use cases of singly|doubly linked lists, I (nearly) never need
them in my code. Few questions:
1) What's a typical (or average) length of your list?

Thanks for your interest bearophile.

I haven't used linked list much more than just trying them out. And my game is at its earlier stages.

Not very much, 2 players, mines ad lazer bolts are added and removed when used. I guess around 10.

2) Are items sorted (like from the bigger to the smaller one)?

I've got the player objects fixed at the head of the array.

3) Is the item order important (so is it OK to shuffle them in some other ways)?

I'm thinking of having then sorted as objects are added. I'm also thinking of having a pointer to the start and end of each kind of object (like sub lists).

4a) How often/many do you need to add items to the list?

My game is only small at the moment, so not a good sample. I guess every time a player fires a lazer bolt or lays a mine, but those objects don't last long.

4b) How often/many do you need to remove items to the list?

About as often as I add them, eg. the mines and lazers are added and taken away often. How many, two at a about the same time with two players.