On Thursday, 7 May 2020 at 02:06:32 UTC, data pulverizer wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 10:23:17 UTC, data pulverizer wrote:
D:      ~ 1.5 seconds

This is going to sound absurd but can we do even better? If none of the optimizations we have so far is using simd maybe we can get even better performance by using it. I think I need to go and read a simd primer.

After running the Julia code by the Julia community they made some changes (using views rather than passing copies of the array) and their time has come down to ~ 2.5 seconds. The plot thickens.