On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 10:12:09 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
Downloading files over TLS. This seems that it's something that should be quite simple to do. My high level goals are cross-platform and easy distribution. I don't need anything fancy just a simple API like this:

download("https://url.com";, "/local/file");

Maybe just start wget or something like that?

* Network [6]. This is an Apple specific library provided by the platform. This is the recommend alternative to SecureTransport. The problem is that this is not just an alternative TLS implementation, it's a completely different alternative to BSD sockets. The API is completely different and will require some extra layers to to provide a cross-platform API. This means that I cannot use any of the existing library to just add TLS, it will be a completely different implementation, which might be ok. Another big problem is that it only available on macOS 10.14 and later. I have not decided yet if this is acceptable or not

Since you want the latest certificate storage, you intend to support only the latest system. Many root certificates will timeout now.

* Are there any high level APIs, like NSURLSession, on Windows that can be used to download files?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winhttp/about-winhttp