On Friday, 26 June 2020 at 10:12:09 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
* Arsd [4]. Relies on OpenSSL

Yeah, I've been wanting to change that and use the native apis for years but like I just haven't been able to figure out the documentation of them.

Though for plain download, on Windows there's a high level function you can just call that's relatively easy... just the rest of the module needs low level access so it isn't super useful.

And of course Mac does it differently, I don't know much about there.

The main problem is that it has been deprecated.

That's the problem of everything Apple makes. Kinda drives me nuts trying to keep up with their endless churn and constantly Think Different campaigns.

* Are there any high level APIs, like NSURLSession, on Windows that can be used to download files?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winhttp/winhttp-sessions-overview

I guess that is more middle level but it isn't too hard to use. I think there's a flat out url -> bytes function too but I don't remember what it is.

Regardless, the Windows functions may look familiar if you have done AJAX - that was based on an IE object which was based on the Windows API.