On Tuesday, 17 August 2021 at 18:27:21 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
According to my tests, it prefers the `T` version over the static array version. Which leads me to believe that it prefers a dynamic array over a static one. In fact, if I comment out the `T` version, it doesn't compile. It literally will not pick that specialization, even if it can interpret the literal that way.

which is really bizarre, since if you do it without specializations, but just spelling out all the template components (as in your alternative workaround), it WILL pick that one over a dynamic array one.

Oh my, that's weird... Not meant to bash but given all I've seen of argument deduction & templates & specializations... I think the implementation needs some serious rework 😅

---

Interestingly enough my approach will not even work for 2d array literals. It will manage going to int[][2], but int[2][2] is one step too far. Which is a real bummer. :( That is, it won't figure it out itself, but when you call `foo(T, uintL)(T[L][L]...` using an explicit `foo!(int, 2)` it _will_ work. Even though it manages T[L] just fine. Meanwhile T[2][L] _and_ T[L][2] won't work when called with a 2x2 array literal.