On Wednesday, 11 September 2013 at 10:28:37 UTC, Gary Willoughby wrote:
You can then let the GC handle it or free it yourself with GC.free(*buffer).

But if the buffer is stored in a static variable, the GC will never collect it. I *could* also free it myself, but why/when would I do that?

Did you just just let your buffer grow, and never let it get collected?

Is there a way to do something like "I'm using this buffer, but if you want to collect it, then go ahead. I'll reallocate a new one *if/when* I need it again"