On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 19:58:51 UTC, Namespace wrote:
Why should anyone switch to D if it is nothing else as a new C++?

It's worth pointing out that the library AAs proposed here would still have the same syntax as the built-in ones now.

int[string] a;

would just be magically rewritten into

AssociativeArray!(int, string) a;

and ["one" : 1, "two" : 2], would just become something like AALiteral(["one", "two"], [1, 2]);, or whatever, I'm not sure exactly what they were going to do there.

Anyway though, all the sugar is still there, just a new implementation as a regular D struct instead of a bunch of calls to _d_assocarray and the other dozen magic functions and typeinfo things it uses now.

BTW part of the bugginess is because this move to the library was half-assed. It does do the AssocativeArray rewrite... but it also still uses the magic functions.

So there's all kinds of weird crap going on that can make programs fail to link and other bugs since we've been stuck in this no-man's land for years.