On Wednesday, 2 October 2013 at 03:28:59 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Wednesday, October 02, 2013 03:19:19 Jesse Phillips wrote:
For me, if the program didn't format brackets on the same line I wouldn't use it. If you start making things configurable, may as
well improve indent's support for D.

Whereas I'd hate to have to write code that didn't have braces on their own line. It's far better for us both to be able to write code the way that we want than try and force standard formatting rules of some kind. IMHO, they add
little to no value and definitely make coding less enjoyable.

My vision: Jonathan checks out Jesses code to fix a bug. On opening the file his editor automatically reformats to braces-on-own-line. When committing the fix, a pre-commit hook reformats to the project-specific style braces-on-same-line. Everybody is happy. :)

Of course, there are edge cases, where automatic formatting should be broken. However, I think we should let them be and adapt. I also add code sometimes, just to remove a compiler warning like "unused argument". Likewise, I am fine with minor noise in exchange for consistent styling like described above.