On Thursday, 17 July 2014 at 10:13:46 UTC, bearophile wrote:
Dean:

dmd compiles very quickly, but to compile writeln D has to digest a good amount of Phobos code.

Are the reasons for this similar to why C++ STL is not an object
code library ?

The reasons for the large amount of code compiled for a writeln are that: writeln is more powerful, Phobos modules import each other a lot. And several parts of Phobos are not compiled because there are templates everywhere. Take a look at Phobos sources and you will see.

Bye,
bearophile

Apologies, I wasnt clear. I was talking about the reason behind
compiling the code from source as opposed to linking precompiled
objects. I was speculating wether the reasons are similar to that of STL, i.e. specializing to the type as late as possible.