On Saturday, 11 April 2015 at 22:45:39 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

Yes - nice to know it can do that also. For me I need to have a way of managing large amounts of email (I have about 2mm messages) including for natural language processing etc. Dovecot/sieve + pipe facility is ok, but not perfect for everything. I guess it should work fine for regular ARM etc - perhaps not an Arduino!

I won't say it's impossible, but it would be cumbersome processing email on an AVR.
But there are Arduino using ARM Cortex-M microcontrollers too.

I can mention a couple of microcontrollers that have ethernet support (eg. they need a PHY of your choice and for instance a HanRun ethernet connector) - Examples are STM32F4xx from ST-Microelectronics and LPC1758/LPC1768/LPC1769/LPC177x/LPC178x/LPC43xx from NXP. There are others from other vendors as well, but those above are quite popular and very easy to find as stand-alone chips or small evaluation boards.

I find it particularly interesting to be able to send an email to a device, which can then process and do some simple things (eg. turn stuff on/off, send back the room temparature, etc.) - also a mail-robot would be quite interesting as a stand-alone "thing".

Have a few other things on the boil, and also constrained in how much time I can spend for various reasons.
I have the exact same problems. ;)

So don't plan or expect on it being finished soon, although I hope it might be.
It'll be ready when it's ready. When building in small steps, the job often gets easier.

May you be successful with ease!