On Tuesday, 30 June 2015 at 00:02:38 UTC, Meta wrote:
On Monday, 29 June 2015 at 19:29:37 UTC, sigod wrote:
Hi, everyone.

```
import std.typecons : Nullable;

class Test {}

Nullable!Test test;
assert(test.isNull);
```

Why does `Nullable` allowed to be used with reference types (e.g. classes)?

P.S. I have experience with C#, where `Nullable<T>` cannot be used with reference types. And it sounds logical to me.

It's a design mistake in Nullable. I would suggest that either never use Nullable with a type that already has a null value, or use the "overload" of Nullable that takes a null value, and set it to null. Example:

Class Test {}
alias NullableTest = Nullable!(Test, null);

I tend to think that it's incredibly stupid to use something like Nullable for a type that's already Nullable. It's just silly. If a type is already nullable, then just use that and stop being adding extra overhead for no good reason. However, it _is_ true that if you need to have a nullable variable in generic code where the type that you need to be nullable could be any type, then having Nullable work with all types - and work with them all in the same way - is useful. Without that, you'd have to special case your code for types which were naturally nullable (and thus used null) and those which required Nullable. So, I can see why it could be useful to have Nullable work with classes, but I also question how common such a use case is.

- Jonathan M Davis