Hi,

I know C++ and D without being a C++ or D guru (I know way more about D though). When talking about memory management the problem of RAII is often mentioned along with the fact that classes use the GC. I know well the difference between structs and classes and don't want to talk about the GC here.

It seems to me that just as one can manage his memory in C++ using unique_ptr, shared_ptr and basic RAII we can manage our memory using Unique, RefCounted and Scoped.

My question is: what is possible in C++ that isn't in D? How come that we are getting memory debates at all on this matter if we can do the same thing? If there are differences is fixing them an option to have something to show to D detractors?