On Saturday, 19 May 2018 at 01:48:38 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
Actually, that runtime function has existed since before TDPL came out in 2010. It even shows the implementation of the free function opEquals (which at the time was in object_.d rather than object.d). I'm not even sure that the error message was added before the free function version of opEquals was. Maybe when that error message was first introduced, it avoided a segfault, but if so, it has been a _long_ time since that was the case.

Good catch. I overly trusted git blame. The opEquals(Object, Object) function was added in February 2010, while the error message was added in March 2008.

Of course, the most notable case where using == with null is a terrible idea is dynamic arrays, and that's the case where the compiler _doesn't_ complain. Using == with null and arrays is always unclear about the programmer's intent and almost certainly wasn't what the programmer intended. If the programmer cares about null, they should use is. If they care about lengnth, then that's what they should check. Checking null with == is just a huge code smell.

I feel like the array == null version is more explicit about not allocating memory. However, I'm paranoid about whether that's going to check the pointer instead, so I mostly use array.length == 0 instead.
  • is == IntegratedDimensions via Digitalmars-d-learn
    • Re: is == Uknown via Digitalmars-d-learn
      • Re: is == IntegratedDimensions via Digitalmars-d-learn
    • Re: is == Neia Neutuladh via Digitalmars-d-learn
      • Re: is == Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn
      • Re: is == Neia Neutuladh via Digitalmars-d-learn
        • Re: is == Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn
        • Re: is == Neia Neutuladh via Digitalmars-d-learn
          • Re: is == Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn
      • Re: is == Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-learn