Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"John Reimer" <terminal.n...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:28b70f8c119528cb42154f5d1...@news.digitalmars.com...
Hello Nick,

But, of course, adjectives (just like "direct/indirect objects") are
themselves nouns.

Umm... May I make a little correction here?
Adjectives are not nouns.  They are used to /describe/ nouns.

-JJR

Maybe there's examples I'm not thinking of, and I'm certainly no natural language expert, but consider these:

"red"
"ball"
"red ball"

By themselves, "red" and "ball" are both nouns. Stick the noun "red" in front of ball and "red" becomes an adjectve. (FWIW, "dictionary.reference.com" lists "red" as both a noun and an adjective). The only adjectives I can think of at the moment (in my admittedly quite tired state) are words that are ordinarly nouns on their own. I would think that the distinguishing charactaristic of an adjective vs noun would be the context in which it's used.

Maybe I am mixed up though, it's not really an area of expertise for me.

Incidentally...

I used to do a lot of work in natural language processing, and our parsing heuristics were built to handle a lot of adjective/noun ambiguity.

For example, in the phrase "car dealership", the word "car" is an adjective that modifies "dealership".

For the most part, you can treat adjectives and nouns as being functionally identical, and the final word in a sequence of adjectives and nouns becomes the primary noun of the noun-phrase.

--benji