Nick Sabalausky wrote:
The point is, the current semantics for D's version() are *plenty* susceptible to most of same versioning mess as C's #if/#ifdef, and in some cases (such as ||), even worse. With either style, the solution is exactly the same as any other chunk of messy code: Clean it up! Not only is gimping the version-control mechanism the wrong solution, it doesn't even solve the problem anyway.

I'll argue that I've never seen anyone create such a mess in D, while I see it regularly in C. So something about D is discouraging developing those things.

I think the tipping point is that it's too easy in C to slip into writing such a mess without actually trying to, while in D you have to work harder to do it. Hard enough that one might as well do it better in the first place.