Hello Rainer,

Christopher Wright wrote:

Games have strict performance requirements that a stop-the-world type
of garbage collector violates. Specifically, a full collection would
cause an undue delay of hundreds of milliseconds on occasion. If this
happens once every ten seconds, your game has performance problems.
This is not true of pretty much any other type of application.

If you spend hundreds of milliseconds on garbage collection every ten
second, you spend multiple percent of your total execution time on
garbage collection.  I wouldn't consider that acceptable anywhere.

If you spend a few 0.1ths of a ms every 10 ms on reference counting, smart pointers or passing around other meta data it's the just as bad. I have no data but even worse would be, as I expect is true, if non GC apps end up being architected different to make memory management easier (if so, you can bet money it won't be faster as result).