"Nick Sabalausky" <a...@a.a> wrote in message
news:gu51vu$1e2...@digitalmars.com...
> "mpt" <m...@ikikiki.fi> wrote in message
>>I keep making 2 mistakes in my D programs, and fixing them feels
>> troublesome.
>>
>> 1. Null references. I get a segfault and gdb is useless (ldc thing
>> maybe).
>> 2. Exceptions. It prints the msg nicely, but it's unhelpful in tracing
>> the real cause of error.
>>
>> Shouldn't there be an automatic null check for references and stack
>> traces? Sometimes I think I'm using the wrong tool as others have
>> solutions for these.
>
> These are two very common complaints, and there has been a lot of
> disussion about both. Hopefully they'll get taken care of.

To elaborate:

Pretty much everyone agrees we need stack traces on exceptions. I'm actually
kind of surprised DMD still doesn't have them, I wouldn't think it would be
a real major change (at least compared to some other things). IIRC, I think
the Linux LDC already has this feature.

About the null references, most people seem to agree that the right way to
fix that is with some sort of "non-nullable". But there's a lot of
disagreement on exactly how non-nullables should work.