On Friday, 16 November 2012 at 03:32:06 UTC, Rob T wrote:

I encountered this same "wtf???" today. Apparently, even with a default type specified, you still have to put in a !(). I don't know what the reasoning was behind making this seeming redundancy a requirement, and it partially defeats the purpose of the default. IN my case I wanted the default type to be selected when left unspecified, but also to get rid of the !() requirement for a more natural appearance. I was planning on asking about this in the forums later.

I agree.

In any case, a simple work-a-round solution is to create an alias, for example:

alias Event!() Event_t;
// you may substitute "Event_t" with whatever type name you want

Event_t e2;        // Will compile!

Yeah but that kinda blows, doesn't it?

best thing you can do, is get a copy of "The D Programming Language"

Good luck, and have some patience, you'll need it.

Already got it somewhere, I think. And thanks.