On Tuesday, 4 December 2012 at 18:41:14 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Tuesday, December 04, 2012 17:35:23 foobar wrote:
That's a lot of duplication considering D already provides this
in Object.

Though per the last major discussion on const-correctness and Object, it's likely that toString, toHash, opCmp, and opEquals will be removed from Object, in which case you'd need a derived class which implemented them to use any of
them.

- Jonathan m Davis

In other words, the plan is to pretty much deprecate Object? I hope there would be appropriate replacement before this happens. Users should be able to have a standardized API and a default implementation for these methods. Is phobos going to introduce interface such as Printable, Comparable, etc.. ? (names tentative, I'm more worried about the semantics).