If the entire .d file is there in binary form, then I don't see why it wouldn't
work. .di files fail because they strip out the implementation. If a binary
format were used,

It's all about what is in the file, not whether it is text or binary.

then we should be able to get away with keeping the
implementation there, because then it's obfuscated rather than for sitting
there for all to see, which is why corporations and the like insist on
distributing only headers. Even with an object file, the best that you get is
obfuscation, because it can always be reverse engineered, so it seems to me
that what needs to be avoided is providing text. As long as we use text, we're
forced to cut out the implementation and end up crippling any code that uses
that module, since it can't inline it or use it in CTFE. In binary format,
it's obfuscated, so the entire implementation can be there, allowing inlining
and CTFE to work.

This method of obfuscation simply will not hide things from someone with even modest technical ability, because *all* the source information is *necessarily* there in the file.

Object files are resistant to reverse engineering because most of the information is gone.