05-Jan-2013 00:01, Rob T пишет:
On Friday, 4 January 2013 at 17:11:54 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
The more I think about it, staging really seems to be useful to avoid
some corner cases.

I haven't had time to study the newly proposed process in enough detail
to properly comment, but it always seemed to me that you cannot get away
without a staging branch. You can try very hard to do without, but it
means something else will suffer for the lack of it, so it seems you are
coming to the same conclusion which is good (unless I'm wrong).

If we look at how the current 2.061.0 release went down, there was
clearly no staging at all, it went straight out just as it did in the
past, and we're already seeing complaints about broken code and bug
fixes that should have gone into the release that were left out. We're
also finding bugs discovered right after the release was made, this is
not good and should not happen.

Staging branch was there, so did the betas.
What could have helped is announcing beta at D.announce instead of separate list. Plus at holidays there was not much of beta test coverage.

--
Dmitry Olshansky