On Thursday, 3 January 2013 at 17:56:05 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
What changes? All changes should be made in master, then applied to staging via cherry picking. So there should never be changes in staging that are not in master so there's nothing that could be overwritten?

I strongly disagree here. We want pull requests to be made against the oldest supported/relevant branch. This could be merged to both staging and master (which can simply be done by merging staging into master) there is no need to complicate things with cherry picking.

As for history, I think that clearly shows what the history is, staging gets fixes and master gets staging that is what we want.