On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 09:01:46 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Wednesday, January 09, 2013 09:54:10 Mehrdad wrote:
You (or Walter I guess) are the first person I've seen who calls
C++ garbage collected.

I sure wouldn't call that garbage collection - not when there's no garbage collector. But Walter has certainly called it that from time to time.

I think that the other term that Paulo just used - automatic memory management
- is far more accurate.

- Jonathan M Davis

I used to think that. But I was convinced otherwise when considering carefully the cost and benefit involved. I so no interest in make the difference anymore.

The technical solution you choose for GC imply some tradeoff, and it amazing to see how the fact that you refcount or trace don't matter that much. If you want a tracing collector to behave more like reference counting, you'll need to add barriers, so you ends up with the same cost to get the same benefit. Same goes for variations around reference counting, or any mix of both.