On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 09:17:35 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
09-Jan-2013 12:54, Mehrdad пишет:
On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 08:51:47 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 08:28:44 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 08:14:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 1/8/2013 11:42 PM, Mehrdad wrote:
(True, it wouldn't give you the power of a systems language, but
that's quite
obviouly not my point -- the point is that it's a _perfectly possible_ memory-safe language which we made, so I don't understand Walter's
comment about
a GC being "required" for a memory-safe language.)

The misunderstanding is you are not considering reference counting
as a form of GC. It is.

So you would say that C++ code (which uses reference counting) uses
garbage collection?

Yes.

You (or Walter I guess) are the first person I've seen who calls C++
garbage collected.

That's a stretch - IMHO I'd call the language garbage collected iff it is the default way language-wise (e.g. if C++ new was ref-counted I'd call C++ garbage collected).

This way D is garbage collected language because the language default is GC.

I was being provocative on purpose.

Having said that, a C++ application where *_ptr<> + STL types are used everywhere can make C++ almost a safe language.

Unfortunately most C++ libraries make use of naked pointers.

..
Paulo