Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Sean Kelly" <s...@invisibleduck.org> wrote in message
I also don't understand why professors seem to always choose academic textbooks on the subject when I know there are infinitely better trade books available (which I generally already own).

Hear hear!!

There's also another phenomenon I've noticed: Classes that never use the book, *except* for heavy use of it during the first two weeks. Call me paranoid, but I can't imagine any realistic explanation for that other than trying to trick students who have learned not to buy books until they see the class *really does* require it (as opposed to the classes that merely claim to require it.)

It could also be that the professor is new to teaching and wanted to try out the book, but did not end up liking it.

Heck, one of the schools I went to, I know for a fact that the instructors were *required* to choose a "required" book for their course and have the bookstore order it. A handful of instructors would say on the first day of class "Did you get the required book for this course? No? Good. Don't. And if you have, go take it back. They just required me to pick one. We won't use it, so don't get it."

My university's bookstore refused to accept returns without proof that you dropped the course.