On Tuesday, 29 January 2013 at 12:18:56 UTC, jerro wrote:
What do you eran from that? Sparing "value" as a reusable identifier?

Not using a magic identifier, which makes the code clearer.

Yes. What about removing $ in array context? That makes it a very magic identifier.

OK: use "$" instead of "value". It is magic already.

Nothing is stopping you from keeping the getter and setter together.

The problem is that nobody enforces you. Nobody is stopping you from writing corect code, I can swear that. Still, bugs exist. And in your code, too.

So you are assuming that having a special syntax for defining properties has some psychological effect on programmers that results in proper usage of properties, and that the lack of such syntax in D is the main reason for improper property usage.

I think it will make things clearer for them: a lot of debate was needed just to make clear that UFCS/optional_parens and @property are orthogonal issues. Do you think that confusion in the beginning had nothing to do with the F meaning... FUNCTION?

I disagree. I think that the main reason @property is currently overused in D is that people were under the impression that paren-less calls will only be supported for @property functions in the future. So if people wanted some of their functions to be callable without parens (and some people do want that), they actually had an incentive to make them @property, even if they weren't logically properties.

You see: optional parens mean function, @property means property. The confusion that you spot is exactly the confusion that is rooted into that mix of properties and functions.