I'm interested in experimenting with game development in D, but the only thing putting me off is D's heavy GC reliance, which at the moment is a stop-the-world GC.

One of the biggest killers in game development is unreliable performance and before I tread down the D path I'm interested in knowing just what it is possible to do with the GC in D.

I'm not so knowledgable in the theory behind GCs but I know that in natively compiled languages your options are much more limited. I found CDGC as an apparently abandoned attempt at a concurrent GC (which also uses fork(), but the way Windows is going I'm caring less and less about them anyway).

So, how good can D's GC get?