On Friday, 29 March 2013 at 02:39:59 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

Only having append would actually be problematic, as there
are cases where you really do need write and not append. And neither of them have been in Phobos for all that long (peek, read, write, and append were
added in 2.060).

- Jonathan M Davis

Ah, I was just going by the docs when I wrote this. I apparently got it wrong. write doesn't using indexing it uses opSliceAssign (which isn't in its constraints). I'm also not familiar with the use cases and there are definitely reasons to stray from idiomatic D.