On Wednesday, 17 April 2013 at 16:26:30 UTC, Rob T wrote:
The proposal therefore seems to be about extending D to always perform attribute inference along with type inference unless the attributes are explicitly specified.

The question I have is if the proposal wants to extend the meaning of the "auto' keyword so that it will be required in order for attribute inference to take place, but that indeed does confuse things because we're using the same keyword for two completely two different purposes, and it clashes with the use of auto in some cases.

-rt

This is a very good description of the change.

I don't think auto should be made specific to attribute inference. So I think the discussion should consider:

const foo()//...

would that be something that should also be a attribute inference. I think I'm still ok with that as it is still requesting inference. Note that you can not specify an inferred const return type. That is this makes a the function const (not valid as a free form function), and not the return type.