Further inspection suggests that the BetaClass object I was accessing was already finalized by the time the AlphaClass object got around to trying to mess with it. Conclusion is that whether it's the in-destructor access or not, it's simply not safe to try to clean things up this way. I think I have a safer alternative.

What was interesting is that even after the BetaClass object has been cleaned up, I can access any variables it may have contained. If, for example, it has an integer value that's publicly visible, I can still read that.(haven't tried writing.)