On Thu, 28 May 2009 11:39:28 -0400, Matti Niemenmaa <see_signat...@for.real.address> wrote:

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
If we were importing compiled files (or even generated files), then the compiled file could have annotated the "static this" with the dependencies it has... I don't want to start another long thread on this, I understand Walter's "I want to use standard linkers" position.

I don't think that's an argument against this; you can always compile both an intermediate representation for purposes such as these in addition to the standard object file. It's what the Haskell compiler GHC does, for instance.

As long as it's part of a system where you can't accidentally use stale files, then I'd agree. The best scenario would be to import the object file directly IMO.

-Steve