Hello Steven,

On Thu, 28 May 2009 11:39:28 -0400, Matti Niemenmaa
<see_signat...@for.real.address> wrote:

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

If we were importing compiled files (or even generated files), then
the
compiled file could have annotated the "static this" with the
dependencies it has...
I don't want to start another long thread on this, I understand
Walter's "I want to use standard linkers" position.
I don't think that's an argument against this; you can always compile
both an intermediate representation for purposes such as these in
addition to the standard object file. It's what the Haskell compiler
GHC  does, for instance.

As long as it's part of a system where you can't accidentally use
stale  files, then I'd agree.  The best scenario would be to import
the object  file directly IMO.

How about serialized the AST that goes into a .di file into a special section of he object file and then suck it back in for imports? (BTW this is a solution I can live with. :)