On Mon, 20 May 2013 13:58:56 -0700
"Adam Wilson" <flybo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 May 2013 13:20:22 -0700, Nick Sabalausky
> <seewebsitetocontac...@semitwist.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 May 2013 12:41:08 -0700
> > "Adam Wilson" <flybo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> markup is extensible, OS widgets are not.
> >>

> > I don't know where you got that idea.
> >

> I mean extensible in terms of look or style, sorry for the ambiguity.

Ahh, ok, I wasn't actually sure exactly what sort of "extensible" you
meant.

> OS widgets require tons of custom coding to change the style, I've
> done it, and I hated every minute of it. But with WPF I don't even
> think twice, I just do it, because I can get the exact style in under
> an hour.

Honestly, I'd consider that a major downside: Anything that
helps/encourages developers to disregard a user's system settings
(style or otherwise) is a very bad thing, IMO.

Of course, if the toolkit automatically comes with a
guaranteed user-selectable setting, outside of the app's control, to
optionally disable any custom styling on a per-app or global basis, then
that's the best solution of all: It attracts the "To hell with the
user's system settings because *I* deserve to be in control of my user's
computer" crowd and then uses that to hand control *back* to the user,
where it belongs. I've often thought about developing a system like
that.