On Tuesday, 21 May 2013 at 11:06:44 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
On 5/21/13, Adam Wilson <flybo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, it comes down to how you want to render. My preferred solution woulbd be a rendering thread running all the time doing nothing but the
GPU leg-work

Why a GPU? Aren't most GUIs static? And aren't there issues with GPUs
where feature X isn't supported on all GPUs or is buggy on a
particular one (e.g. driver issues)? Or maybe that was true in the
past, I was out of the loop for a while. :)

If you only use basic features (everything you need for GUI), you're not going to have issues. In any case if you go the GPU route it's best to isolate the GPU code behind an interface so you can add a software implementation later if absolutely necessary.

I think the best idea is to stop arguing and just do something. I recommend trying a minimalist project (at most Clutter sized) instead of something massive like Qt that's likely never going to see the light of day. Implement the basics, create a few example apps, and _then_ start a discussion. You might not get a perfect library/framework, but at least you'll get something that exists instead of an infinite flame war getting nowhere as is the tradition in the D world. Getting more than one contributor _and_ not stopping work on it is going to be the main issue, there've been a few D GUI attempts and they're mostly dead due to lost interest.

My (subjective) preferences:

* Human-readable markup, not just through a tool (a tool can be built later). YAML and JSON work well here.

* Look at Hybrid API. Clutter and Qt also have nice APIs, but D allows some things not possible there.

* Library instead of a framework - one of things I like about the Hybrid design