Andrei Alexandrescu:
>I just think it's the wrong problem to work on.<

Beside multiprocessing (that I am ignorant to comment on still), I can see
other purposes for having a way to tell the type system that it exists only one
reference/pointer to mutable data and ways to safely change ownership of such
pointer. It can also be used by the compiler to optimize in various situations.

It can be good when the type system gives you a formal way to state a
constraint that the programmer wants to put in the program anyway (often just
stated in comments, if the language doesn't allow such higher level feature).

For example a type system can give a big help avoiding using null object
references in a program, saving lot of time of the programmer (eventually D
will need this feature), in such situations a more refined type system reduces
the time/complexity to write correct programs (and in 20-lines long programs
you may just don't use such features).

Bye,
bearophile