On Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 02:46:07 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
Any code ready for review must have a clear indication of how the API will look when it's pulled into Phobos. If it's not to that state, the code cannot really be reviewed as a possible contribution to Phobos.

I have to stop you there, it appears your premise is off. This is not about the API being ready for Phobos, this is about having a pull request-able submission. As you say a little bit later the implementation details can be worked out later, or what I'm advocating, we can decided where his util parts fit into Phobos later.