By the way, while this topic gets some attention, I want to make a notice that there are actually two orthogonal entities that arise when speaking about configurable allocation - allocators itself and global allocation policies. I think good design should address both of those.

For example, changing global allocator for custom one has limited usability - you are anyway limited by the language design that makes only GC or ref-counting viable general options. However, some way to prohibit automatic allocations at runtime while still allowing manual ones may be useful - and it does not matter what allocator is actually used to get that memory. Once such API is designed, tighter classification and control may be added with time.