On Monday, 8 July 2013 at 18:37:30 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
If you consider that our brains evolved, and self-awareness was a result of evolution, then self-awareness presumably offers some sort of survival benefit.

Following that line of reasoning, self-awareness becomes a real phenomenon with a scientific basis.

I do not consider that self-awareness is result of an evolution. I am not even sure it actually exists. It is a very abstract term with no clear meaning, using it just obfuscates the idea.