Walter Bright:

Except that we have no idea how brains actually work.

Are fruit flies self-aware? Probably not. Are dogs? Definitely. So at what point between fruit flies and dogs does self-awareness start?

We have no idea. None at all.

There are many things that are not yet known in neurobiology and in the higher organizational patterns of the brains, both in their computational structure and the dynamic interactions between their parts.

But we are not totally ignorant. Neurobiology and other brain sciences have discovered many things. This old guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Edelman has proposed several theories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_Darwinism ), done simulations; and generally all kind of researchers are increasing our knowledge of such topics every day, so currently we are not in the full dark as you say.

The differences in the brains of different animals are slowly getting understood, including what's the difference between the consciousness of dogs, self-consciousness of humans, simpler brains of reptiles, and cabled aggregates of bodies inside tiny insect brains (as it often happens in biological sciences, what we discover is that even the 'simplest brains' are quite more complex than previously believed. Today we know how a fruit flies learns and remembers scents, how its tiny brain copes with the needs of a complex body able to fly in a very complex environment, etc).

Bye,
bearophile